Fudgy FAILSAFE black bean brownies that are also gluten and dairy free? Yes, please!
I’m not sure if you know this or not, but brownies are my absolute favorite dessert in the entire world. Like, I could eat an entire pan of brownies every day for the rest of my life and be content. So when someone tried to push a brownie on me that had black beans in it for the first time, I thought they were joking.
I gave in.
It was a brownie after all.
That was over 10 years ago and I’m still alive to tell the tale. I’m also still making black bean brownies and have now indoctrinated my children into the cult. The best part is that they don’t even look at me funny when I tell them we’re having black bean brownies (or chickpea oat bars for that matter). In fact, they ask for them by name and brag to their friends about the special treats that they get to eat. WITH BEANS.
7-year-old Emily would be losing her marbles if she knew what was happening. Thank goodness MY 7-year-old doesn’t even bat an eye at it.
These black bean brownies are rich and moist, and with the high amount of eggs in them, are more fudgy and springy than traditional (flour-based) brownies are. They also don’t hold together as well, which is why it’s best to keep them in the refrigerator instead of on the counter top.
My favorite part about these brownies is how I don’t feel any guilt letting my children eat more than one brownie in a day (or sitting, let’s be honest). Because BEANS. And eggs. And minimal sugar. HUZZAH!
What are your favorite kind of brownies? Bonus points if they are FAILSAFE.
Fudgy FAILSAFE Black Bean Brownies
- 1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup carob powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup carob chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Grease an 8×8-inch glass baking dish with safe oil.
- Place beans, eggs, oil, carob powder, salt, and maple syrup in a food processor and blend until smooth. Stir in carob chips.
- Pour batter into your prepared baking dish and bake for 35 minutes, or until la toothpick inserted into the comes out clean.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares. Store in the refrigerator.