Back when I was following a low FODMAP diet, I would make myself roasted garlic or mango chicken sausage patties and devour them over the course of a day or two. It was a flavorful and satisfying meal, something that wasn’t always easy to come by on a specialty diet. Sadly, most of the ingredients used in those burgers weren’t safe for a low salicylate diet, so I had to get creative. Enter these chicken and leek burgers.
Made from a grand total of 5 ingredients, these burgers are flavorful AND easy to make. Two things that make me a very very happy person. And make it incredibly easy to get a delicious meal on the table pronto.
So, how do you make these magical chicken and leek burgers?
You start by sautéing leeks in oil, then add them to the ground chicken. Once that’s done, add in some chopped leeks, a little bit of minced garlic or a sprinkle of garlic powder (go easy on the garlic, only small amounts are considered to be low in salicylates), and some salt and mix it together with your hands. Form the mixture into whatever size patties you fancy and then pan fry them until they are cooked all the way through.
I love them paired with roasted brussels sprouts or some green beans. You could also do potatoes if you are able to source white-skinned potatoes in your area. (I can’t, and that makes me very very sad…).
Chicken and Leek Burgers
- 1-2 tbsp oil canola, safflower, sunflower, rice bran oil
- ¼ cup leeks loosely chopped
- ½ tsp garlic minced (or 1 clove)
- 1 lb ground chicken
- ½ tsp salt or to taste
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in leeks and sauté for 5-7 minutes. Add in minced garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes more. Transfer to a medium mixing bowl and let cool for a few minutes.
- Add in ground chicken and mix to combine with your hands. Form into patties (I generally make 4-6 depending on what size I want them).
- Using the same frying pan as before, add the remaining 1 tbsp of oil and heat over medium heat. Add patties and cook for 5-7 minutes per side or until chicken is fully cooked (internal temp should be around 160°F).
- Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy!