Baked chickpea fritters that are as easy as they are delicious.
Every now and then I get a hankering for something that isn’t beef or chicken. Pre-FAILSAFE diet, that would mean pasta night or some roasted cauliflower tacos. Now that I’m on the FAILSAFE diet, that means beans, lentils, or eggs.
In my head, I know that leaves a lot of options for meals. In my heart, it feels like there isn’t much to choose from and life sucks without tomato sauce and buffalo sauce and roasted cauliflower tacos.
I did try the chickpea fritters from Friendly Food* early on in the diet. And while the flavor is good, they are deep fried in oil and don’t hold together very well. Two things that make me a little stabby when it comes to eating and cooking bean based patties (fritters, cakes, burgers).
This recipe for baked chickpea fritters solves both of those problems. They are cooked in the oven (aka BAKED) and not fried, so no greasy messes in the kitchen to worry about. Plus, they hold together absolutely beautifully. No crisp exterior and uncooked interior in these bad boys. (I’m convinced it’s the inner mush that is the culprit for bean burgers that fall apart.)
The only thing left to worry about is what to dip them in and pair them with. For the dipping, I suggest the pear + carob bbq sauce. For the pairing, that’s fully up to you!
Baked Chickpea Fritters
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup leeks chopped
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 2 15 oz cans chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp gluten free flour
- Preheat oven to 400°F/200°C. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone liner and set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in leeks and garlic and cook for 2-4 minutes or until leeks begin to soften and turn bright green.
- Transfer leeks and garlic to a food processor and add remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- Scoop 2-3 tbs of mixture on the baking sheet and flatten into a patty. Continue until all of the chickpea mixture is used up (you may need 2 baking sheets).
- Place in the oven on the middle rack and cook for 10-12 minutes per side or until light golden brown. Patties should hold together nicely.
- The fritters are delicious with the Pear + Carob BBQ Sauce.
*This is an affiliate link.